On May 23, 1953, a group of residents from Bridgton held a meeting in the Dalton Holmes Memorial Public Library for the purpose of considering the organization of a Historical Society in the town of Bridgton. The original group consisted of Julia Chadbourne, Ernest Stevens, Eva L. Shorey, J. Bennett Pike, Mrs. Emma R. Ntceros, Miss Christine M. March, Joseph Winn, Mrs. Winnifred B. Plummer, Howard Burnham, Henry A. Shorey, Miss Frances Green, Mrs. Marjorie Tyler Wells, Miss C. Amy Babson, Blynn E. Davis, and Dorothy Hale Davis.
Once agreeing this was important for the town they needed a place to meet. The Trustees of the Library agreed the organization could hold their meetings in the basement. Blynn Davis wrote the constitution and it was adopted in July 1953. The annual dues of the Society were one dollar, or such an amount as the Society shall determine, payable after the annual meeting in September.